Archive for April, 2008

redwood fence around tree.

Monday, April 21st, 2008

fence.jpg

The two front posts are hollow. The idea is to fill them with gravel and water the tree at the roots. I orginally wanted to go down twenty-four inches, but had to settle for twelve. The posts near the street are solid walnut, 2-1/2 inches square and rabbeted. The slats were to go on the outside of the rails, but the car is in the way, and this also reduces the volume of soil needed, and maybe gives room for bad parkers. The fencing at the street is mostly futon slats, which needed to be cut to fit, as the roots of the tree are above the sidewalk there. The redwood is a mix of tongue and groove siding and regular planks. I gave them all a bevel to match.  They are glued and nailed to the rails.  Almost no wood was purchased in the construction of this planter. (The walnut plank was purchased years ago on ebay.)

Five hours to build, and five hours to install.

Bookcase in a Day

Thursday, April 3rd, 2008

yellowpinelumber.jpg

The yellow pine planks in their original condition.

yellowpineshelf.jpg

Yellow pine shelf ready for shaping.

picture-049.JPG

Gluing end to end and sanding off old finish.

gluing.JPG

Gluing on nose molding.

tapering.JPG

Crosscutting uprights at angle.

picture-051.JPG

Closeup of glued-up panel.

routing.JPG

Routing edges.

picture-062.JPG

Stack of shelves.

picture-071.JPG

Finished shelves, left.

Below, closeup of finished shelves, right.

picture-068.jpg

“Bookcase in a Day” was the Fine Woodworking article title. Here are some pictures. The uprights are cut from two inch oak lumber core cubicle dividers thrown out by the local junior high school. They were two feet by six feet, weigh about thirty pounds each, and I carried off four of the least water-damaged. That is oak core, oak crossband and 1/8″ oak surface veneer. The yellow pine flatsawn 3 x 14 planks came out of a building on campus (New York University, 5 Washington Place) which was built in 1883. Day after day there were piles of planks being thrown out. Finally, I picked up about a thousand pounds worth: they were three and four feet long. Some were nearly eighty pounds. One plank had over two hundred rings. I bought ten 10×24 ripsaw blades on ebay and ripped the planks quartersawn, scarfed them end-to-end and edgeglued with biscuits to make 1 x 10 planks six feet long. Shaped, moulded and notched the planks, ditto uprights. Stained the uprights and left the shelves natural, shellac finish over all. Here are the pictures. Bookcase in a Day took six months. (Well, I made two.) I found metal in the wood from beginning to end.

The Uprights are tapered in length, and the shelves are tapered in length. The uprights are scaled in width to keep the setback on the shelves the same, and the shelves are scaled in width bottom to top. There’s a left set and a right set of shelves. I didn’t have any lumber to spare, and managed not to make any mistakes, which probably accounted for one of the months.

You should click on the pictures until they are full size to see the grain correctly.